Monday, May 11, 2009

A Midnight Snack

I'm sporting a couple of new burns after Mother's Day. Roasted Blue Eye Cod ran on the specials list last night which involved a lot of sweating, swearing and severe depletion of Chinese cabbage mid-way through service. Dagnabbit.

Although Mother's Day this year wasn't quite what we had all anticipated after hearing horror stories of the years gone by it still left me feeling tired, drained and in need of a warm treat for dinner by the time I got home after midnight.

I suppose normal people would probably consider oatmeal breakfast food but whatever. Do what you please. Meals need not be confined to societal norms and such and I for one take great pleasure in doing all the things I know I shouldn't.

This recipe makes just enough for one person. The addition of ricotta gives this dish a definitive lightness and I stir it in, but just enough so that it is still quite lumpy. When I close my eyes I imagine that I'm tasting the clouds.

Spiced Banana Oatmeal

40 g oats (I used Uncle Toby's)
250 g milk
5 g honey
a pinch of salt
a pinch of ground cinnamon
a pinch of ground nutmeg
1 banana, sliced
50 g ricotta
5 toasted almonds, roughly sliced
15 g honey, extra for drizzling
Combine oats, milk, honey, salt and spices in a small pot.
Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and cook for about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir through half sliced banana and ricotta.
Spoon into a serving bowl then top with remaining banana slices, slivered almonds and honey.


4 comments:

  1. Niiiice pictures! I"ve been in the mood for oatmeal lately too. Must go buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of clouds of ricotta. Extra beautiful with honey and cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Cathy,

    My name is Leo Nguyen and i'm a designer working at a broadcasting and animation design studio in Sydney called Hackett Films (www.hackettfilms.com). We are currently working on a project and would love to get your permission to use this particular image. Is there a contact email or phone we can contact you by to discuss this in private?

    We look forward to hear from you soon.

    Kind Regards,

    Leo.
    leo@hackettfilms.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I regularly eat porridge for a snack at work.. people give me strange looks when I eat it at 3pm, but as you say, who cares?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails