Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What Happens to Fat?

To mark the World Congress on Oils and Fats and 28th ISF Congress held in Sydney from the 27-30th of September 2009, Foodservice Magazine - an industry publication released monthly, will be focusing on the use of frying fats after life in the kitchen. I was approached for an interview in the media office after attempting and failing miserably to obtain photos of the Fine Food expo at Darling Harbour.

"We just use generic canola oil.. I think.. Umm.. But don't quote me on that." I stammered.

What I meant to say a little more eloquently was:
"Having just been awarded the newly appointed SMH Sustainability Award, it's clear that the restaurant (Billy Kwong) is at the forefront of sustainable practices in the foodservice industry. We take great pride in using some of the best produce available and while it is inevitable that waste is created, we do our best to recycle as much as possible, including the oils used for cooking during each service."

Phew. If only my mouth was as quick as my feet.

According to the cute interviewer there are chefs who recycle their dirty oil to be used as biofuel for their own cars. An interesting proposition indeed. At Aria I was told that the rancid oil we dumped into a huge stinking vat in the carpark was picked up and recycled into cosmetic goods and soaps. At Catalonia a big truck came along and took all our tins of dirty oil to only god knows where. Currently, noodle man Jimmy filters our oil twice a week and sends it off for a second life at another restaurant before it goes to lipid heaven. What happens after reincarnation though, I have no idea..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails