Monday, May 26, 2008

Sometimes I Find Myself..


..wishing that things were a little more challenging. That's not to say that I'm the ungrateful sort who doesn't appreciate what I have. I wish I was learning more that's all. People say that experience is the best teacher, well I'd like my experiences to be a little more memorable.

At the moment I feel as if I'm teaching myself and with food it's a slow process to forego through trial and manipulation. I'm lucky to have been raised in the age of world wide technology and all that jazz. If it weren't for the countless people willing to share their wealth of knowledge online I think I would be going crazy right now.

I've recently been looking at various culinary college courses in the US and geez louise! I can't believe how freaking expensive they are! It just doesn't add up for me. A bachelor degree in the culinary arts at CIA is on par with a four year course in veterinary science. I mean seriously! Does every kid who walks through those doors expect to become a fucking culinary celebrity a couple of years down the track? FCI would be no better except that the length of the course - being only 6 months, makes the fees invariably cheaper.

Colleges such as the aforementioned don't exist here in Australia. At this point in time the only professional school offering more than just one day pastry classes that I am aware of (aside from TAFE) is Savour Chocolate & Patisserie School. Perhaps there just isn't enough demand for it with our considerably smaller population. My apprenticeship is almost over and hasn't even begun to satiate my desire for knowledge let alone hands on experience so a fairly decent amount of my 'culinary education' comes from books and other sources. Sad isn't it?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,
    Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog recently. I've just had a quick flick through yours and found it quite interesting.

    I hear your frustrations in terms of increasing your knowledge base. In fact the thirst for learning is what will set you apart from the rest, and if you have an open mind you will learn over a life time.

    It sounds to me like you are looking for a mentorship style of experience being unable to afford the exclusive cooking schools on offer.

    You might want to consider looking at the jobs post on ieatidrinkiwork - a recently launched site pooling together resources of industry, journalists and food bloggers. There are several jobs posted at the moment (mostly in Melbourne).

    May I also recommend you check out the-gobbler - a chef moved to Tassie and his rants, as he often rues the shortage of talent and dedication within the industry.

    In the meantime, I wish you well and I think that your desire to learn and grow is a sure indicator that you will get what you want - just remember, it's the journey as much as anything.

    :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thought (sorry - blog hijacker alert), perhaps you could try doing some local one-off cooking lessons with some local champions and heroes.
    For example Peter Sheppard at Caveau in Wollongong runs one per month for $80. He's from the banc stable of boys and the food he does is fantastic (and good value). If you can afford it - go overnight and have dinner on Saturday night there. It's one of the best value meals to be found within coo-ee of Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grocer!
    Thanks for taking the time to reply with some worthwhile advice and links. Cooking lessons are probably the best thing for me at this point, although it's more a matter of finding time than money but I bet you already knew that! :P
    I'm actually working with an old Banc boy now so I might seriously consider Caveau if it's what I'm after. Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you have a look at the gobbler?

    without giving his identity away he is in the same league of chefs...

    and... he won't mind lending an ear (i checked)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails