Monday, June 16, 2008

I Give You The Finger


We exist in a society where we grow up, expecting to know exactly what we want and what we want to be. Sorry to break it to you kids but it's just not that simple. The qualities that we aspire to be are constantly morphing into and transpiring from our latest desires.
­
I never thought that this is what life was meant to be. A series of hanging questions about fate, purpose, desire. Each phase of our lives becoming a single episode where our wants are projected so forcefully that we can barely imagine the future or remember the past. But nonetheless, we are trapped on the edge of our seats, wondering and waiting; desperate to know exactly what happens after the credits roll, when the curtain drops and there exists only a place which we cannot envision.
­
This is what life is. A guessing game of educated ignorance and blind manipulation.
­
I can picture myself frighteningly clearly 20 years down the track, still dazed and confused. I'll still be posting my wicked thoughts and wondering "what the heck am I supposed to do now?" and then I'll remember. Savoiardi - Italian lady fingers, one of the sweet and simple things in life that makes sense.
­
Savoiardi
2 eggs
1 lemon, zest
3 g salt
100 g castor sugar
125 g olive oil
250 g SR flour
Cream eggs, zest, salt and sugar until very pale (about 5 minutes).
Drizzle in the olive oil slowly, you want to create an emulsion.
Add flour and mix until incorporated.
Spoon dollops onto a lined tray.
Bake in preheated oven at 200ÂșC for 20-25 mins or until golden.

3 comments:

  1. I hope that twenty years down the track I will be a little *less* dazed and confused, if that's not too much to ask :)
    Interesting savoiardi recipe. Never made one with olive oil before. They must've tasted very moist and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely delicious indeed!
    we've named this the clunky savoiardi recipe because there are no whisked up eggwhites incorporated into it so it's not as meringuey. they should take me off the dessert section. i've always got my hands on these.. i just can't help myself! :'(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy,

    I’m from Ate Media, a media company specializing in F&B, travel and lifestyle. I have some exciting information that might interest you.

    I couldn’t find any email address on your site. Perhaps you could reply me at cheryl@atemedia.com and I can follow up with you via email?

    Thanks and have a great day!

    Warmest regards,
    Cheryl
    Editorial Consultant
    Ate Media Pte Ltd.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails