Monday, April 6, 2009

YeastSpotting

Seeing as I have a tendency to promote autolysis rather than good bread making, I thought I'd make a scrumptious homely bread and butter pudding with some leftover bread. I used a 700g soy and linseed loaf from Sonoma which I purchased the day before on my way to work. With the crusts removed it weighed approximately 400g, yielded ten thick slices and layered into an ordinary round cake pan it turned out rather nicely. I didn't have any cream on hand so I created the recipe using potato starch (you could also use corn starch) as a thickener.

Bread & Butter Pudding
50 g currants
40 g butterscotch schnapps
700 g soy & linseed loaf, crust removed
550 g milk
90 g unsalted butter
7 g vanilla extract
1 g cinnamon
5 g orange zest, finely grated
2 g salt
2 eggs
55 g castor sugar
10 g potato starch
10 g cane sugar
Heat butterscotch schnapps and pour over currants.
Allow to soak for at least half an hour.
Layer bread slices into a round cake pan with currants sprinkled over.
Bring milk to a simmer with butter, vanilla, cinnamon, zest and salt.
Whisk eggs, sugar and potato starch in a bowl.
Temper with a little hot milk then combine with remaining milk.
Pour over sliced bread and allow to soak for half an hour.
Sprinkle cane sugar over the top.
Bake at 180ÂșC for 40 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Autolysis.. very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking that removing the cream would make it healthier, but who wants a healthy dessert anyway. It's useful to know that you can replace like that though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails