Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Zingy Chicken Sambo

 
I've been really forgetful as of late. I've been searching all afternoon, high and low for a recipe I wrote down many weeks ago and to no avail. Perhaps the stress, late nights and strange sleep patterns have finally caused my brain to rupture, clogging up my skull with tiny little blood clots that are killing off my axons one by one and preventing normal neural transmission activity.

I made up a great recipe for horseradish and lime mayo and I have no idea what I've done with it! I'm so annoyed! Oh well, stay tuned. I may still find it yet - when I'm tidying up my belongings to move house in ten years time. In the meantime, if you want to give it a go (fingers crossed) I think I used an egg yolk, Dijon mustard, maldon sea salt flakes, horseradish cream, delicious GM canola oil and a squeeze of lime juice to taste.

The horseradish and lime mayonnaise wasn't the hero of the dish of course. That title was given to the leftover Chinese white-cooked chicken, the star of my sandwich show - cold and quivering, thinly cut slices of just cooked chicken, poached in a heavily seasoned broth of ginger, shallots and shiao xing wine.

The chicken is gently poached for 15 minutes then left to cool in the broth until it reaches blood temperature (about 3 hours) allowing for the residual heat to penetrate and cook the meat without excessive temperature and protein shrinkage. The resulting meat is tender and succulent, unlike that achieved by any other technique.

To finish off my sandwich I toasted some bread, slathered on a little butter, popped on some crisp watercress layered with cold slivers of chicken and drizzled over with my zingy horseradish and lime mayo. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails